[Fwd: Re: [Met_help] Question, comments]

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:51:54 MDT 2008

MET Folks,

A user has requested that we add a new column of output to the MODE output stats file relating to area.  Currently there are columns in the output named:
AREA = the number of points within an object.
AREA_FILTER = the number of points within an object containing non-zero data in the RAW field.

This user would like us to add a third column named:
AREA_THRESH = the number of points within an object that meet the threshold criteria set when defining the object in the RAW field.

He thinks this measure would tell him more about the "density" of the raw data within the object.

For example, suppose you're running MODE on a precip field, and you've defined 1 object with AREA = 1000 by convolving and thresholding at >= 5mm.
There may be some points in the raw field with zero data that got "convolved" into the object.  So AREA_FILTER (= non-zero points in the object) may be = 800.
Then we'd check to see which points in the raw field are >= 5mm.  And we may get AREA_THRESH = 500.

For precip, I'm pretty sure the following relationship would hold: AREA >= AREA_FILTER >= AREA_THRESH.

It seems like a reasonable addition to me.  Any objections?

John