[Met_help] Calling sequence

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Mar 31 16:01:21 MDT 2008

Shelley,

The PCP-Combine tool is used to sum up precipitation data files (in Grib format) from shorter time intervals to longer ones.  For example, you could use PCP-Combine to sum 6 one-hourly accumulation
files into a single 6-hourly accumulation file.  If you type "pcp_combine" with no arguments, it should print out the usage statement.

So if you're verifying precipitation, you should use the PCP-Combine tool to convert your forecast and observation datasets into a common accumulation interval - prior to running them through MODE.
Please see section 3.6 of the MET User's Guide (METv1.0/doc/MET_Users_Guide.pdf) for more info on the PCP-Combine tool.

Once you have your precipitation data in the desired accumulation interval (or whatever gridded forecast and observations you'd like to use), you can run them through MODE.  Again, just type "mode"
with no arguments to get the usage statement.  At a minimum, you'll need to pass MODE the forecast file, the observation file, and the configuration file you'd like to use.  There are other optional
arguments listed in the usage statement as well.  You can find a sample MODE configuration file in "METv1.0/data/config/WrfModeConfig_default".  I'd suggest making a copy of the default one, and
modifying that copy to select how you'd like to run MODE.  Please see chapter 6 of the MET User's Guide for more detail on configuring/running MODE.

Not sure if that completely answers your question, but I hope it helps.  Please let us know if you need any more clarification.

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu