[Met_help] [Fwd: MET FEEDBACK from Segayle Walford]

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Mar 31 11:27:20 MDT 2008

Segayle,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  Most of the MET support team was out of the office last week.

In the future, please direct these type of questions relating to compilation errors, runtime errors/bugs, and technical support to the email alias "met_help at ucar.edu".  We intended the online MET
Feedback form to be used for comments and suggestions relating to the tools and techniques available in MET rather than technical support.

If you're receiving an error message about not being able to file "-lbufr", that means that the linker can't find the file "libbufr.a" in the directory you've specified in the Makefile for
"BUFR_LIBS".  Please look in the directory you've specified for "BUFR_LIBS" in the Makefile for that file: libbufr.a.  If it's not in that directory, that's something we'll need to fix.  Please refer
to section 2.6 of the MET User's Guide (METv1.0/doc/MET_Users_Guide.pdf) for instructions for building BUFRLIB.  You may also need to refer to section 2.9 for instructions on how to configure the
Makefile when building MET.

Once you've built the file "libbufr.a", please make sure that the "BUFR_LIBS" parameter in the Makefile points to the directory containing it.

If you still experience trouble building MET, please do the following...
(1) Since "make -f Makefile_pgi >& make.log" doesn't appear to be working as we'd expect.  Just try renaming the file "Makefile_pgi" to "Makefile".  If you'd like to keep the original "Makefile"
around, you could rename is to something like "Makefile_gnu".
(2) Execute a "make clean" in the top-level MET directory.
(3) Then attempt to remake MET with "make >& make.log".
(4) Please send the "Makefile" and the "make.log" files to me with a description of the problem you're experiencing.

Thanks and sorry again for the delay in getting back to you.

John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu