[Met_help] viewing/plotting data from Prepbufr files

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Jun 25 13:58:27 MDT 2008

Luke,

I have a small utility I use for plotting the locations of the PREPBUFR observations, but it reads the NetCDF output of PB2NC rather than the PREPBUFR files directly.

It creates a PostScript plot with the world outlines on it and red dots where there are observations.  You can select the observation variable type(s) to be plotted with the "-var" command line option
and message type(s) to be plotted with the "-typ" command line option.  Also, you can specify some arguments to zoom the plot up to a particular region of the world.  By default, it plots the lat/lon
location for all variables and message types on the whole earth.

If you think it'd be useful, I'd be happy to provide it to you.  But since I'm pretty busy these days, I wouldn't be able to provide much support for it.

I'm not aware of tools that plot PrepBufr locations directly, but it might be worth searching for that yourself.

Just let me know.

John Halley-Gotway