[Met_help] RE: MET FEEDBACK from John Huddleston

John Huddleston jhuddleston at hughes.net
Tue Jul 22 14:08:16 MDT 2008

John

I finally found out the issue past the programming issues.

The data files that you bundle in the MET data sample_obs prepbufr directory
are 64 bit. I wrote a C program to decipher the NDAS data files.

So, even though I had fixed all the programming bugs and made bufrlib little
endian, there is no provision to read a 64 bit data file. The
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/gfs/ files have four bytes in the
front of the file before the 'BUFR'. Your files have eight bytes before the
'BUFR'.

When I read the first eight bytes (e.g. r = read(oin,&tmp2,8);) into a long
long C program variable it correctly displayed as an integer '9912'.  Your
data is 64 bit little endian.

Yet again another reason to rewrite the bufrlib.