[Met_help] Re: mode_analysis scripting question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jul 1 09:54:55 MDT 2008

Bill,

Good news.  You can use the -lookin path to specify a MODE output filename ***OR*** directory that contains MODE output somewhere down in it.

This is from the MODE-Analysis usage statement:
"-lookin path" specifies a MODE file or a top-level directory containing MODE files to be used (at least one required).

So all you'll need to do is pass in the top-level directory that contains all of your MODE output somewhere down beneath it.  MODE-Analysis should recursively search all of the subdirectories and read
  all of the files ending in "_obj.txt" (that's the output file naming convention for the MODE files).  So MODE-Analysis will read all of the data and perform the job you specify.

However, let me caution you that you'll need to make sure your filtering parameters are set up properly.  Since you'll be reading ALL of the output data at once, you'll probably want to specify the
model name for the job using the "-model" command line option - I assume that you'll want to only look at objects from one model at a time.  Think about how else you'd like to filter the data.

Sorry that wasn't more clear about how "-lookin" path works.

If you find that MODE-Analysis is running too slow because it's busy reading all of that data in and then throwing most of it away anyway, you could try using the MODE-Analysis configuration file
instead.  In the configuration file you'd define many jobs to be performed for that data set rather than just one, like on the command line.  And it would make it so that the data is only read in once
- which would make it faster.

Let me know if you have any questions.  And do be sure to keep using the "-dump_row" option and keep verifying that it's doing what you expect it to be doing.