[Met_help] Metv1 Install

Lacey Holland lholland at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:39:26 MST 2008

Hi!

I'm going to give you a quick summary of how to install it here.  More
details about compiling MET and the required libraries are located in
the User's Guide, under the doc/ of the MET tarball (also available from
the MET website at: http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/overview.php
).  The User's Guide explains how to install MET in a more thorough fashion.

I would recommend first download and installing the required libraries,
or asking a sys admin to help install these libraries for you.  These
are listed on the MET downloads page:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/index.php
and include: BUFRLIB, NetCDF, and the GNU Scientific Library, and f2c
(or g2c).

All of these libraries should be installed with the same family of
compilers you want to use to run MET.  Currently, PGI and GNU compilers
are supported.

If you are running Red Hat Linux on a 64-bit computer, however, you only
need the GNU Scientific Library and the NetCDF Library and will also
have to comment out line 192 of the Makefile (or line 186 of
Makefile_pgi, if you are using a PGI compiler), so the module PB2NC will
not be compiled.

Once the required libraries are installed and the MET tarball is
unpacked, you are almost ready to compile METv1.0.  First, edit the
Makefile (or Makefile_pgi, if you are using a PGI compiler), changing
the first several lines of the file to point to where your C++ and
Fortran77 compilers, MET directory, NetCDF library, BUFR library, and
other libraries are located.  Once you've updated your Makefile, type
"make" (or "make -f Makefile_pgi" for the PGI version) to compile MET.
Some warnings are expected during the compilation but at the end a
message saying "*** Finished Making the Model Evaluation Tools Project
***" should appear, if your build was successful.

Please let me know if there's anything more specific you would like to
know, or what else I can do to help.  Also, please note there is a known
issues page where common problems are reported:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/index.php

Good luck!
--Lacey Holland

--
Lacey Holland

UCAR/NCAR, Research Applications Laboratory
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO  80307
(303) 497-8396