[Met_help] known problem but not solution for pb2nc on a 64-bit machine (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Dec 1 11:33:36 MST 2008

Barbara and Robert,

I checked the MET-Help email history and did find a response to Robert's question on 11/10/2008.  I've copied it below.  Perhaps there was a transmission problem.  Sorry for the confusion.

I'm happy to help you try to get things running.  Robert, please see my response below.

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu

Robert,

I don't know immediately what's going on.  I built MET here as 32-bit on Debian Linux system but wasn't able to reproduce the same error message you're seeing.  Looking at your Makefile, I have a
couple of questions...

(1) GSL_BASE is defined to be "/use/local".  I'm wondering if that's a typo.  Do you really intend it to be "/usr/local"?

(2) In NETCDF_LIBS, you're linking to "-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/32" necessary?  Do you run into problems if you don't link to it?  What happens when you remove that link?

(3) Regarding the undefined reference to "powidf2", I found that function defined on my machine in the following location:
/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libgcc.a

I ran this command: nm /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libgcc.a | grep powidf2

But I noticed that it's NOT defined in the corresponding version 3.4.6 file: /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/3.4.6/libgcc.a.

So perhaps it has something to do with conflicting versions of the compiler.  What version of the compiler are you running?
When you do "g++ --version", what do you get?  Perhaps you're running version 4.1.2 of the compiler, but trying to link to version 3.4.6 of the libraries.  Just a thought.

John