[Met_help] Re: PrepBufr format needed for METv1.0

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Apr 28 13:47:48 MDT 2008

Svetlana,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  I was out of the office all last week.

I see that you'd like to use ASCII point observations to in MET.  We're currently working on a new release of MET, version 1.1, which will enable you to do that directly, without having to go through
the step of converting to PREPBUFR.  To answer your question though, PrepBufr is a variant of BUFR used by NCEP (Nat'l Centers for Environmental Prediction) here in the United States.  While I believe
you'd be able to use a BUFR library to read PrepBufr files, I believe the formats differ somewhat.

We have links on the MET website pointing out where you can access PrepBufr data: http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/observation_data.php

However, we realize that users may want to use observations that are not already included in PrepBufr files.  So METv1.1 will contain a new tool called ASCII2NC (similar to PB2NC for PrepBufr) which
enables ASCII observations to be used in MET.  For this initial release, we're only supporting ASCII observations in a predefined format consisting of rows of data which each contain one observation
value.  10 columns of data are expected in each row:
    Message_Type Station_ID Valid_Time(YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS)
    Lat(Deg North) Lon(Deg East) Elevation(msl)
    Grib_Code Level Height(msl) Observation_Value

We plan to make METv1.1 available by late May 2008.  However, if you'd need to begin working on this immediately, I could provide you with a beta release of METv1.1 for you try out.

Just let me know.

John Halley-Gotway