[Met_help] Problems getting MET running...bufr problems?

Steve smasters at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 30 16:00:14 MDT 2007

Hi...

I sent your group an e-mail in late August about problems I was having
getting the MET software to work properly.  While I am able to compile
all the various components without error, the test cases will not
sucessfully complete.  In particular, the PB2NC test fails with and end
of file error during an internal I/O operation, apparently while reading
or processing bufr data.  After several exchanges of e-mails, we felt
the problem was with my netCDF compilation and installation.

After a couple of months, I have again had opportunity (and the
requirement) to get MET working successfully.  As I have continued to
look at my system, I believe that the problem is not with the netCDF
installation.  I get no compilation errors and all tests that come with
netCDF pass on my system.  I am beginning to believe that the problem is
with the bufr software.

While I can compile the bufr libraries without error, I can not make any
program that uses BUFR data work properly.  I suspect that there may be
an issue with my system and OS being 64-bit.  If you "od -c" the blocked
prepbufr files that come with the MET package, they have a four-byte
fortran record length header.  I note the same header size if I download
blocked bufr files from NCEP.  However, if I use the cwordsh program on
an unblocked bufr file I get from NCEP, or if I do any FORM=FORMATTED
fortran open/write with my own programs, I get an eight-byte header.
I've attached the output from the "od -c" on one of your sample blocked
bufr files and a file that I blocked on my system using cwordsh.

My system type listed by "uname -m" is "x86_64".

I know that the bufr software is totally external to your system, but I
was wondering if anyone else working with the MET software has run
across this type of issue.  At the moment, the bufr format is the only
way to get observed data into MET, so I need to find a solution to this
problem.

Steve Masters  smasters at cfl.rr.com
ENSCO, Inc.    masters.steve at ensco.com
Melbourne, FL