[Met_help] Precip verification

Lacey Holland lholland at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:24:04 MDT 2007

Hi, Luke!

Earlier in my response about the prepbufr data archive you found at
NCDC, I didn't realize you intended you use those files for precip
verification.
Unfortunately, there are no raingauge data in prepbufr files -- at least
to my knowledge.  The variables in there are limited to T,P,Q, U,V, and
Z, I believe.

ncdump only works on files in NetCDF format.  However, the pb2nc
executable in MET should allow you to dump out the contents of a
prepbufr file using the -dump option.

Currently, there isn't really a way of doing raingauge-based precip
verification using MET.  However, this would be a functionality that
would be important to add in a future release!

Thanks for the responses and take care,
--Lacey Holland