[Met_help] Plotting VSDB files.

Lacey Holland lholland at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 13 10:39:46 MST 2007

Hi, Brian!

FYI, I'm cc'ing met_help on this, as I think it may be of interest to a
few others in our group.

That's great you are able to use awk and gnuplot!  Those are very
reasonable alternatives.  We have considered providing some scripts for
those, but they haven't seemed to be as in high demand as some of the
other packages.  It's good to know you are using them, though, and that
they work.  The beta release was somewhat limiting on some of the
statistics that it produced, but the next release will provide a VSDB
analysis tool that you should also be able to use with awk and gnuplot.
The VSDB analysis tool will compute aggregate statistics over whatever
cases you provide VSDB files.  From the output of that analysis tool,
you'll be able to do a lot more with gnuplot, such as plot the median
absolute error vs. height for your model runs.

We are also starting to compile example scripts/programs for reading the
VSDB and other output files that we might show as examples on our
website.  If you feel comfortable doing it, it might be really helpful
to other users if you could send over some of your awk and gnuplot code
so that we could show it as an example of how someone might use them.

The library linking problem you mentioned, -lfg2c vs. -lf2c, is one that
others have had as well.  That will be better documented in the next
release, but thanks for letting us know!  Please let us know if you run
into anything else that doesn't work as documented.

Thanks again and take care,
--Lacey Holland

--