[Met_help] Plotting VSDB files.

Lacey Holland lholland at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:27:01 MST 2007

Hi, Brian!

Thanks for inquiring about the VSDB files.  We're certainly planning to
provide subroutines/scripts in a few languages (IDL, R, NCL, etc.) for
plotting VSDB files but unfortunately, those aren't available yet.

In the formal release that is coming up soon, there will be analysis
tools available for sorting through VSDB files and calculating other
quantities from the VSDB files, but these aren't available right now in
the Beta version.  It will likely be sometime after the formal release
when we provide the subroutines mentioned in the User's Guide for plotting.

I have had a great deal of success on my own plotting the VSDB output in
IDL, however.  I think I have seen others use R.   Right now, these
subroutines aren't formally available, though.  I have found the VSDB
files aren't difficult to work with in IDL, especially if you "cat" the
files together before reading them in.  Since they are in ASCII format,
most software packages should be able to read them.

Anyhow, thanks so much for your interest, and it's exciting to know you
were able to get that sort of output!  Please let us know if there's
anything else we can help with.

Thanks again and take care,
--Lacey Holland