[Grad-postdoc-assn] Faculty position at the University of Florida in Machine Learning in the Geosciences

Valerie Sloan vsloan at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 15 07:26:36 MST 2021

Good morning,

Happy Friday!
Here is a posting that I thought might be a good fit for some of you.

Val

My department has a faculty opening for someone who uses Artificial
Intelligence /Machine Learning in geoscience research. This is part of a
large, campus-wide search for professors who can take advantage of the new
supercomputer facilities at the University of Florida. The timeline is for
the search is accelerated, and review of applications start in
mid-February. I am in my second year in this department and am happy to
answer any questions you may have about department culture, campus
accessibility, weather in Gainsville, etc.
See the short ad below, or click here to see the full advertisement and
apply: http://apply.interfolio.com/82647
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__apply.interfolio.com_82647&d=DwMFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=zfhDrqB2i4Y3Xd0LD4oBagi7W8hMzMDIxnUSVKZBMjU&m=x8wjup5Wr9NKPigi1h5DHbx5ga_m05HgS3HuGyD7Y6g&s=QygY9YHQ6Blt225Y67pQMKWreTjQ7BUmeWMSNoWTE4E&e=>
.

*Tenure-Track Faculty Position in the Department of Geological Sciences,
University of Florida*
The Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Florida invites
applications for an Assistant Professorship in artificial
intelligence/machine learning applied to Earth science research, with an
anticipated start date of August 16, 2021. We particularly encourage
applicants in the areas of natural hazards, climate change, solid earth
geophysics, remote sensing, or allied Earth system fields. The Geological
Sciences department at UF has developed a strong expertise in
high-performance numerical computing of Earth System dynamics, providing an
ideal context for future work and collaborations involving AI/ML research
in the Earth Sciences. This position is part of a new AI/ML hiring
initiative at the University of Florida (https://ai.ufl.edu) coinciding
with the development of the new HiPerGator AI NVIDIA GPU SuperPod
architecture, the world's fastest supercomputer in higher education (
https://news.ufl.edu/2020/07/nvidia-partnership/). For complete information
about this position, including required qualifications and applications
materials, please visit: http://apply.interfolio.com/82647
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__apply.interfolio.com_82647&d=DwMFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=zfhDrqB2i4Y3Xd0LD4oBagi7W8hMzMDIxnUSVKZBMjU&m=x8wjup5Wr9NKPigi1h5DHbx5ga_m05HgS3HuGyD7Y6g&s=QygY9YHQ6Blt225Y67pQMKWreTjQ7BUmeWMSNoWTE4E&e=>.
Inquiries about the position should be directed to the Search Committee
Chair, Dr. Raymond Russo (rrusso at ufl.edu). The Department of Geological
Sciences particularly welcomes applicants who can contribute to a diverse
and inclusive environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring,
and professional service.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution.

*Dr. Anita Marshall *(she/her)
Lecturer, Department of Geological Sciences
University of Florida, Williamson Hall 255
Director of Operations, theIAGD.org <https://theiagd.org/>
Learn more about making geoscience field experiences accessible with the LIFT
kit <https://theiagd.org/lift/> and the GeoSPACE project
<https://people.clas.ufl.edu/anita-marshall/geospace/>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/the-iagd/CY4PR2201MB17513DFDDDE6C6B3E776273C86A70%40CY4PR2201MB1751.namprd22.prod.outlook.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/the-iagd/CY4PR2201MB17513DFDDDE6C6B3E776273C86A70%40CY4PR2201MB1751.namprd22.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>