[Grad-postdoc-assn] Great resource for grad students and postdocs

Scott Briggs sbriggs at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 30 09:48:55 MDT 2021

Be wary of websites and recruitment schemes which solicit work and samples
of your skills which could be used in other ways. For example your "referee
style reviews" [via Figbox’s "double-blind review mentorship option", "a
skill that is required when you are asked by an elite journal to review an
academic paper"] could be used in numerous ways to do the work that others
are paid for and over which you have no control: "You grant Figbox a
royalty-free and non-exclusive license to display, use, copy, transmit, and
broadcast the content you upload and publish."
Read their Terms of Use: https://figbox.co/terms-of-use/
<https://www.researchgate.net/deref/https%3A%2F%2Ffigbox.co%2Fterms-of-use%2F>
and
be aware of the data-mining potential of any information you hand over.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 9:11 AM Ifedayo-Emmanuel Adeyefa-Olasupo via
Grad-postdoc-assn <grad-postdoc-assn at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> Ran across this FREE excellent academic platform called figbox I would
> like to share with everyone. Click here: https://figbox.co/
> figbox <https://figbox.co/>
> figbox helps you get quick quality reviews of qualitative or quantitative
> figures you plan to include in an upcoming submission or presentation from
> published and experienced researchers. Get the help you need, improve your
> overall message, advance your career!
> figbox.co
>
> According to their FAQs  fIgbox allow early career researchers (e.g.,
> postdocs) and junior scholars the ability support each other through the
> exchange of feedback and academic content in the following categories:
>

>    - PhD admissions/application advice
>    - Thesis selection/ literature review
>    - Quantitively and qualitative analyses
>    - Methodological approach and design
>    - Feedback on working scholarship/grant
>    - Feedback on working paper
>    - Feedback on working thesis
>    - Submission/publication advice
>    - Replying to referee reviews from journal
>    - Handling academic conflicts
>    - General career advice
>    - Transitioning from academia into workplace
>
> In exchange postdocs:
>
> increase their mentorship/ peer-review experience
> receive lunch money from mentees they support
> receive verified mentorship certificates in support of CV and career
> get mentorship (e.g., career advice) from other postdoc scholars & junior
> professors
>
> Note I opted to connect my ORCID account when signing up.
>

> Best Regards,
> Emmanuel

Scott Briggs
(he/him)
Administrator
Advanced Study Program
National Center For Atmospheric Research
*phone: 303.497.1607*