[Grad-postdoc-assn] Race and racism in our field

Valerie Sloan vsloan at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 20 06:43:34 MST 2019

Good morning,

This article is a pithy, insightful, and useful writing on Race and Racism
in the Geosciences
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0519-z.epdf?shared_access_token=q-x0vHNjlAGa7XbvslR9JNRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0P6o78nSB17kxl2sqVpNzs_TX06_A8IbV-TOHGLZiOdXhotzJNPOVXJsv5HBipKy8Ej55jQWUwtrC-GHGu_xFHJKxzzMD4NyatAmFsUuEBYLw%3D%3D&fbclid=IwAR3SkVFSyveifbVvzhgggc8FAd-R5-9LTbDB2eScqt9AZGq8YqV9hrrViPA>.
It is an important read, especially for those of us who are in the dominant
group of being White in the geosciences. As our discipline and
organizations aspire to be more inclusive and to diversify, it is key that
we better understand our own biases and impacts in perpetuating the status
quo.

If you will be writing a diversity statement for a job in academia or
others fields or are interested in raising awareness in your own group,
this is a highly worthwhile read.  A PDF of the article is also attached.

- Valerie