[Grad-postdoc-assn] Opportunity to serve as a mentor this summer

Rebecca Haacker rhaacker at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 14 10:18:01 MDT 2017

Hi all,

Bec Bachelor the Director of SOARS (copied) asked me to share this request
with you. Mentoring for SOARS is a fun and rewarding experience and some of
you have been wonderful mentors in the past.

http://www.soars.ucar.edu/

Please get in contact with Bec directly if you're interested.

Many thanks!
Rebecca

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to the many of you who have volunteered to serve as mentors for
SOARS proteges this summer! We are still looking for a few more writing
mentors, computing mentors (particularly for MATLAB and NCL) and coaches
(descriptions below).  If any of you are interested in engaging with really
talented and enthusiastic undergraduates in one of these roles over the
summer, please could you drop me an email?

Many thanks,
Bec

I will be in touch with all those who volunteered within the next few days,
if you haven't already heard from me.

Writing MentorA writing mentor offers one-on-one feedback to their protégé
on writing and presentations. The writing mentor supplements the
instruction protégés receive in their weekly writing workshop and spends
about two hours per week with the protégé.
Computing MentorThe computing mentor helps the protégé learn the computing
skills necessary to complete their project. Mentoring includes providing
one-on-one tutoring, recommending resources and helping debug or
troubleshoot code.
CoachEach first-year SOARS protégé is assigned a coach. The coach meets
approximately once a week to help their protégé develop solutions to
troubling situations by helping them define the problem, envision the way
they would like things to be, and develop and implement steps to get there.

Rebecca Haacker

Director
NCAR Education and Outreach

Advanced Study Program