[Grad-postdoc-assn] ASP seminar Wednesday 9/8, 11 am in ML

Jasper Kok jfkok at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 2 09:36:12 MDT 2010

This Wednesday, September 8, at 11 am, Jeff Kiehl will present the
academic year's first ASP seminar in the Mesa Laboratory main seminar
room. Tea and coffee will be served before the seminar, and anyone who
wants to can join the speaker for lunch after the seminar in the Chapman
room. Please plan to attend!

Title: Temporal Characteristics of Earth's Climate System

Abstract: Earth's climate system shows rich temporal variability on a wide
rang of time scales. The characteristics of this behavior are a result of
the how the climate system is externally forced and also the feedbacks
operating within the system. In this presentation, we will look at how
Earth's climate system has evolved over time and how processes working on
multiple time scales have affected the temporal evolution of Earth¹s
climate. We will consider how changes in Earth's physical system are
interdependent with Earth's biosphere. We will also consider how feedbacks
that have operated in Earth's past may play an important role in
determining the future evolution of Earth's climate. Case examples for
specific periods in Earth's past will be provided to indicate how feedback
processes have amplified climate change.