[Grad-postdoc-assn] Thursday social

Simona Bordoni bordoni at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 2 22:15:20 MST 2009

Dear All,
as you know, the Social on Thursday will be a chance to discuss the
selection process and suggestions for the 2009 lectures. For those of
you who were not there for the selection process, some issues were
raised about the voting system and the need for clearer guidelines for
the future. This will be the starting point of our discussion on
Thursday. Additionally, please, find below a brief summary  from the
TLS evaluation forms that were filled up after Ray Pierrehumbert's
visit. I thought it could be also useful to discuss if we want to
implement some of these suggestions in future lectures. And of course,
other ideas are always welcome!
Hope to see many of you on Thursday!
Simona

------------
Summary from TLS evaluation forms

that the choice of the right lecture is the key for successful events!
In that respect, Ray was indeed outstanding. A few issues raised:

1) Participation to the scientific roundtable discussion. Depending on
the area of expertise of the speaker, not all postdocs feel very
motivated to attend. One person suggested to shorten it; another
person suggested that the two big roundtable discussions could be
broken into smaller group discussions. A person suggested to have some
ncar senior scientists participate in the roundtable discussions.

2) Speaker introduction should be joined to the career roundtable
discussion in future visits. This gives a better scope to the initial
introduction, allows us to get to know the speaker and gets the
conversation going.

3) leave some flexibility in the individual meetings duration. Some
people might be more than happy with 30 minutes, some people might
need more.

4) A couple of people raised a point that I liked a lot: to better
prepare ourselves for the visits, we could ask the lectures to send
before-hand one or two papers which will be relevant to his/her talks.
One person suggested to have a journal club style study of these two
papers before the visit, with maybe some of the most interested
postdocs leading the discussion and presenting the papers to the
others. This of course would result in more time invested in preparing
for the visit, but maybe a better/more successful outcome?

5) A couple of people suggested to move some of the discussions
outdoors if the weather allows.

---
Simona Bordoni
Postdoctoral Researcher