[Grad-postdoc-assn] reminder - Mt. Evans

Simona Bordoni bordoni at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 11 11:04:49 MDT 2008

Hi All,
this is just a reminder that our next social event will be driving,
hiking and picnic-ing at Mt. Evans on August 23rd (details attached).
Please, RSVP by August 20th to Jacob Fugal (fugal at ucar.edu)
indicating if you can offer a ride or are in need of a ride.
Thanks!
The Social Committee

> -----------------------------------
>
> What: Mt. Evans drive, picnic and hike. Mt. Evans is the highest paved
> road in the U.S. It ascends to 14,130 feet (4307 meters) at the
> terminal
> parking lot. It's 70 miles or 2.5 hours drive from the Foothills
> lab and
> at least a 8000 foot elevation change. The drive in the mountains is
> breathtaking. At the top there is a couple short you can do including
> hiking to the top of Mt. Evans (14,264 feet elevation)--about 1/4 mile
> walk. You can also walk the ridgeline path down to Summit lake below
> (12,500 feet elevation)--about a 2 hour hike. Picnic afterwards at
> Echo
> Lake picnic area. More information about Mt. Evans is available at:
> <http://www.mountevans.com/>. It's the most accessible way to
> experience
> a Colorado 14,000 foot peak.
>
> When: Saturday, August 23, 2008. Meet at Foothills Lab, 7am.
> Carpool to
> Mt. Evans. Maps will be provided. (ASP will pay for vehicle entrance
> fees.) Meet at Mt. Evans terminus around 9:30 to 10:00am. Look around
> and hike. For those going down ridgeline hike leave before 10:30am.
> Pick
> up ridgeline hikers at Summit Lake at 12:30pm and head down for picnic
> at Echo Lake by 1:00pm. 2:00pm leave for Foothills/home.
>
> Where: Mt. Evans, Summit Lake and Echo Lake. Drive west on I-70 to
> Idaho
> Springs. Take SR 103 South to Echo Lake, and SR 5 West to Mt. Evans
> peak. See link:
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=idaho+springs,+co
> +to+mt.+evans,
> +co&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.903538,68.730469&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11>
>

> What to prepare for: The Clear Creek Ranger Station gave the following
> advice about this trip:
> * There is an entrance fee of $10.00 per passenger vehicle good for 3
> consecutive days.
> * They said to arrive early in the day to avoid heavy cloud cover and
> lightening that comes on summer afternoons.
> * They said to make sure you bring clothing and jackets and hats to be
> prepared for quick changes in the weather. Storms begin and grow
> quickly
> in this exposed area.
> * They said to make sure everyone on the trip is hydrated to the point
> they pee clear and pee often. And you need to be hydrated *before* you
> go up there. High-altitude sickness is dehydration brought on by how
> fast you lose fluid at high altitudes through your skin and
> respiration.
> * To put things in perspective, pilots in commercial planes are
> required
> to have oxygen or be in a pressurized cabin above 12000 feet. The
> parking lot at the end of the trip is 14,130 feet with the peak of
> 14,264 feet being another 1/4 mile walk up from there.
> [...]

----
Simona Bordoni
Postdoctoral Researcher
ASP/MMM