[GO-ESSP] RE: [Sgxml] Re: [mmi-tech] Units and NERC DataGrid

Isenor, Anthony anthony.isenor at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 7 09:15:27 MST 2004

Hi everyone,

Here are a few random thoughts that cover the past collection of email.

*  I also like the benevolent dictator approach.  But it does sometime weigh
heavy on the dictator.

*  I think an implemented service for the units would be much better than
the executable code technique.  However, we will have to recognize the need
to in some way manage the service.  Will it need a backup service provider
when the primary goes down?  How will we deal with suggested modifications?
Is this also the role of the dictator?  (All rhetorical questions)

*  In principle I agree with "rough consensus and running code"... but I
would not agree to the code and the written specification become to
disconnected.  I am a firm believer in documentation and I think it is
important not to have the code run to far ahead of the specification.

*  As I understand the discussion around dimensionality and scale, the
difference here is the specification of "reasonable" units for a particular
parameter.  For example, you could express the distance from here to the sun
in picometres, but this is hardly reasonable.  I would suggest that this
type of check between the parameter and a list of "reasonable" units is a
second service.  It should not be incorporated into the unit conversion
simply because it is a completely different function.

Two more thoughts on this topic.  First, I am wondering aloud (and thus
perhaps showing my lack of understanding) that the issue of reasonable units
may be related to significant digits.  Second, is the unit somehow related
to the memory of the number?  For example, I could quote the distance from
my house to my neighbour as some number in metres.  The number would likely
be in the 1-100 range.  Similarly, the distance I remember to the next city
is also in the 1-100 range, but now the units have changed to km.  So does
one's ability to remember the number relate to the "reasonable" units?
(Again, rhetorical).

<Anthony>

Anthony W. Isenor
Defence R&D Canada - Atlantic