[Go-essp-tech] Global attributes and DRS extensions for downscaled datasets

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 03:23:02 MDT 2013

Hello Karl,

Thanks for clear response – I probably should have been able to work that out if I had followed the email thread carefully.

There is a separate document for CORDEX which describes the intended mapping of attributes onto facets in the ESGF User Interface – I’ll try to send that to you later.

I understand your reservations about some aspects of the CORDEX data requirements, but the aim was to use terms which are in usage in the community (particularly for the “region” attribute which actually combines region and resolution) and thus, hopefully, improve compliance and acceptance of the standard.

There is an aspiration to include statistically downscaled data in the CORDEX archive (and it is another shortcoming of the CORDEX document you refer to, I think, that it only deals with dynamically downscaled data and does not leave a hook to allow extension to statistically downscaled). The system you’ve described could presumably be used for statistically downscaled data in CORDEX. We have a new European Union project starting next week which funds Bruce Hewitson’s group in Cape Town to do some coordination and networking on data standards for CORDEX downscaling, so I’ve copied in Chris Jack who is, I think, leading their effort.

Regards,
Martin