[Go-essp-tech] Problems with Sea Ice Mass Transport variables (transix, transiy)

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri May 25 09:54:46 MDT 2012

Follow up (much shorter email this time):

1. The standard name "sea_ice_x_transport" means the vector componet is grid-relative, otherwise it would be called  "sea_ice_eastward_transport". Thanks to Stephanie Legutke at DKRZ for pointing this out to me.

2. I reread the document called "CMIP5 Model Ouptut Requirements: File Contents and Format, Data Structure and Metadata." The gridspec file, named in the global attribute called "associated_files" should contain the rotation angle information that I need. Unfortunately, it's not clear where to get this file from. There's a baseURL included in the same attribute, but that's just pointing to the CMIP5 home page (actually, it points to http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/CMIP5/dataLocation, which returns an error.)

3. GFDL has published their gridspec files on their nomads portal (http://nomads.gfdl.noaa.gov:8080/DataPortal/cmip5.jsp). The gridspec file I downloaded to match my data had the angle info in it, but not on the same grid (data: 360x210, angle: 721x421).

4. Any advice on how/where to get the gridspec files for all the other models? Writing to the contact email address was quite fruitful, and will be a decent if time-consuming fallback plan, but I am hoping those files are gettable in an automated way.

--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org