[Go-essp-tech] What is the risk that science is done using 'deprecated' data?

Jeffrey F. Painter painter1 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 9 10:35:38 MST 2012

Let's go back to Stephen Pascoe's risk #2, which I think is the most
serious one:

2. Users are unaware of new versions available and therefore using deprecated data

Wearing one of my hats, I am one of those users, and in the following
respects a typical user.   I have 9 variables from 3 datasets, from each
of 20 data centers.  When I downloaded the files, I didn't write down
any version numbers.  How am I to know when one of them has
significantly changed?

Wearing another hat, I have the checksums for most of the CMIP5 data
files on the network, so I can deal with it.   But most users would have
serious trouble discovering when data is obsolete.   Nobody wants to
spend hours every week checking all the data nodes for updates, and then
checking each dataset with a new version to see which files were
substantively affected.

- Jeff Painter