[Go-essp-tech] Request to record checksums for all CMIP5 files served by ESG

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Jan 26 18:48:08 MST 2012

Dear all,

This message if for those responsible for CMIP5 data.

We are attempting to replicate at PCMDI and other major data archives a
considerable fraction of the model output you have made available to
CMIP5 scientists.  To assure only genuine replicas are served, we want
to verify that the checksums are the same at all sites.  I am therefore
writing to request with some urgency that you publish checksums.  For
datasets that you have already published, you can add the checksum
following the instructions found at:

http://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/Members/bdrach/.personal/esg-publication-scripts#publishing-checksums-and-other

Note that you should make sure you have the latest version of the
publisher.  (We had to add new capability to the publisher for this
purpose.)  You will have already created mapfiles before, so it should
not be difficult to simply add the checksum information you need.

By the way, if you plan to newly publish additional datasets, there is
an option to create the checksums during the initial publication of the
data, but that will, of course, slow down the publication script
substantially.  If you elect to publish new datasets initially without
checksums, please add checksums within a few days.

Not only will the checksums help us in replicating data (which will
provide better access to the users), certain heavy users of CMIP5 data
have been urging us to provide this information for some time now.  We
thank you for your hard work in improving CMIP5 data services.

On another matter, a reminder: If you in any way modify a netCDF file
that has been published to ESG, please make sure that the "tracking_id"
(one of the netCDF global attributes) in the file is also modified
before it is republished.

thanks and best regards,