[Go-essp-tech] [esg-node-dev] Re: Inconsistent search results from PCMDI9

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Wed Jan 25 08:07:12 MST 2012

Hi Luca

Le 25/01/2012 15:35, Cinquini, Luca (3880) a écrit :
> Hi Sebastian,
> 	thanks for testing the system - we really want to do this as much as we can before we open it up to external users...
>
> Now, what you found is not unexpected, and it originates from the fact that our unit of search is the dataset (aka the THREDDS catalog), not the file... So when you make a selection for "variable=pr", you find the dataset that contains, among other things, that file and variable.

Yep.

> When you place the dataset in the cart, you place it there as a whole - i.e. with all the files it contains, which you can then deselect if you wish.

With the current pcmdi9 deployment it seems you don't place the dataset
in cart as a whole (only ten files appears per dataset and unluckily not
the one I'm interested in). I can't figure out how to expose all the
files in each dataset. May be the real bug (due to a hardcoded 10 files
limit?) is here.

> That said, some scientists at PCMDI have expressed the same usability concern, and in fact the web UI used, till a few days ago, have an option called "Filter search constraints down to Files" which, if selected, would allow you to expose in the data cart only the file that contained variable=pr. This option was temporarily taken out for two reasons:
>
> a) it was buggy :)
> b) it was kind of confusing
>
>  From this email it sounds like you would advocate placing the option back in, and fixing the bugs ?

Yes I would advocate so. As it's a subjective Human Machine Interface
question having both options in place seems to be the best solution.

Thanks.
Sébastien