[Go-essp-tech] Brief Notes From Today's ESGF Migration Plans and P2P Demonstration

Williams, Dean N. williams13 at llnl.gov
Tue Jan 24 12:32:49 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to thank Luca and Gavin for their presentation on ESGF P2P. Nicely done! I would also like to thank all of the ESGF P2P team members and their organizations for their commitment and willingness to make this happen. GREAT Demonstration! More meeting notes will follow from Gavin and Luca.

Those that participated on WebEx: Sylvia (our WebEx host – Thank you!), Luca, Bob, Cathy, Cecelia, Eddy, Eric, GK, Gavin, Glenn, Jay, Jeff, John, Steve, Karl, Kerstin, Kyle, Larry, Mike, Nathan, Nate, Neill, Rachana, Sebastien, Sergey, Stephen, Torgny, Balaji, and Dean. There were others on the telco call as well – my apologies for not writing you names down.

We are opening in up ESGF P2P testing to others outside of PCMDI in order to make sure everything is working properly and intuitively.

Other items that I mentioned are listed below:

The World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) charged PCMDI for the better part of 20 years to coordinate CMIP data collections  and analysis. For those that don’t know, the WGCM is a consortium of over 20 modeling groups around the world working to contribute model output runs under a set of controlled experiment runs, such as decadal prediction (to 2035), long-term runs (to 2100 and beyond), atmosphere-only (AMIP). This is a role that PCMDI has accepted and takes very seriously. According to Jerry Meehl, this effort is in consultation with other important organizations such as the Analysis, Integration, and Modeling of the Earth System (AIMES), the Climate Change Impacts Adaptations and Mitigation Research Group (CC-IAM), and the Task Group on Data and Scenario Support for Impact and Climate Analysis (TGICA).

With that said, Karl has been an integral part of interacting with the CMIP5 panel. He is responsible for conveying the CMIP5 data requirements to the ESGF software team. Dean has been in charge of the CMIP5 data services and software as PI of the ESG effort.

With that said, PCMDI has partnered with other organizations make sure we archive and serve the data accordingly.  We have development documents that can be seen on the http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/submit.html website titled “How will CMIP5 Model Output be Archived and Served?” This document was developed (2009) with Dean, Karl, Bryan, Michael. Also included now in this is Ben Evan from ANU and Kim from the University of Tokyo. This document is old and outdated and needs to be revived to reflect the changes additional software and service requirements.

Other documents pertaining to ESGF and CMIP5 data distribution can be found on the http://esg-pcmdi.llnl.gov/progress-reprots --see the final document. This  last ESGF document (is over 101 pages). It reflects the software development of both the gateway/data node and the ESGF peer-to-peer and the possible migration path.

Also discussed was the 3-day ESGF P2P code sprint held at PCMDI where most organizations were represented. This meeting among other things, discussed the migration path from the current system to the ESGF P2P system. (That is, we would transition to P2P once the it was vetted  and vigorously tested by the CMIP5 community of testers (Karl, PCMDI, and others).

Again, Luca and Gavin will have additional notes that will be visible from the esgf.org website. Gavin will send out notes to the telco and Luca will send out the script he ran through so that everyone can try it for themselves. Additional documentation to follow.

Thank you all for attending today's go-essp telco.

Best regards,
Dean