[Go-essp-tech] Plan

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Sat Jan 21 01:59:38 MST 2012

Hi Cecilia et. al.

On 1/20/12 1:56 PM, Cecelia DeLuca wrote:
> Thanks Luca.
>
> Here is a plan.  I recognize that it is stupid and probably
> counterproductive to continue making suggestions.  Unfortunately
> that does not seem to stop me.  I think these things should
> not be put off and would not take very long.
No no no... not at all... certainly it is never stupid and not
counterproductive (especially coming from you).
Your plan is clearly cogent and sound - the devil is in the details. I
/tried/ to not mince too finely on points in the interleaved response
below.  Many of the items in this plan are well underway and others are
burgeoning.  It is always good to have a plan. :-)
> 1. Do the ESGF demo next Tues from 8-9.
nod
> 2. Have the metrics discussion from 9-10.
What kind of metrics? (pardon if this is a silly question - just want
clarification "metrics" means many things to many people)
Or, do you mean matrix?
> 3. Start putting together a list of users whose input
> you think would be useful.  This is a good idea even if they
> only ever end up reviewing the p2p system.
Here at PCMDI we have had a handful of key scientists looking at, using
and critiquing the P2P system we are participating in building.  The
feedback they provided has been driving most of the changes that have
been made and the overall direction of the development, as they should.
They continue to review and give feedback that we triage and address.
> 4. Update the PCMDI gateway so that it is at least to 1.3.4
> and is in the best shape it can be given the circumstances.
I think this has been done.
> 5. Update the wiki on the ESGF site so that the
> status of all gateways and nodes is current.
Yes, we should have a way to view the overall federation status, but I
am not convinced that the manual task of updating a wiki is quite the
best use of resources and time.  In terms of the P2P system, the
mechanics of the system itself would obviate this kind of manual
reporting.  Not to mince things too finely... yes, indeed having this
information would be useful.
> 6. Identify people and a schedule for periodically testing the
> status of the federation and keeping that status on the
> wiki up to date.  Create a minimum set of federation-level
> tests and post them.  This can be really minimal but it
> is important to start and create a routine.  Useful both
> now and later.
As mentioned, there is a small group of testers, both programmers and
scientists - certainly we can and *will* expand the group of test
(vanguard) users.  Luca has put together documentation on the minimal
set of federation tests as you mentioned.  Also, there will be a series
of automated tests that should provide a baseline for the system
mechanics.  John has been emphasizing testing and is establishing a
testing working group to focus on addressing this issue.

The idea is that everyone should use the system and post bugs when they
find them.  And even better yet fix them ;-).  IMHO - First things
first... it is key to have a core from which to grow.  This core is what
has been established and to be demonstrated (the ESGF P2P Node Stack).
> 7. Create a website where known bugs of the production system
> that affect users are listed, in terms that users
> can understand.  Make users aware of it.
nod
Currently we are using our bug tracking system
(http://esgf.org/bugzilla/) and mailing lists (esgf-node-dev,
esgf-node-user) to get feedback from users.
We will also be using the website, our blog, twitter page (I know... I
know...), and RSS feed notification as conduits for disseminating
information (news, updates, etc.) to the community.
> Bonus points:
> 8. Get together a management body with key stakeholders so
> that decisions are backed up and can be communicated more
> easily.

Nod, the governance structure will be formalized and posted.... among
other things.
> Maybe some of this is already done.  (Going to hide now.)

nod
> Cecelia
>
> ps.  I looked up polemicize and tried not to.

:-)
I personally don't eschew polemics, such engagements can lead to quite
fruitful ends - though they do require a thick skin.

As I mentioned... first things first... and that is to meet on Tuesday
and introduce the P2P system to the go-essp community (again).... then
we go from there. IMHO

Gavin M. Bell
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo