[Go-essp-tech] Fwd: Re: esgf datanode publication, version numbers

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Fri Jan 20 05:49:11 MST 2012

Hi Sylvia,

I was referring to the trackback only. Also questionnaire/CIM metadata.
The only "data" reference was the  implication that if both use the same
xml parser (i.e. if it's used as a singleton) then the same problem will
arise at the metadata harvesting end as what I've seen at the harvesting
end.

Indeed we don't have any GFDL data, but we do have MPI data. In both
cases the system says there's no data at the moment, which is simply not
true for MPI.
Just see for yourself at the link I've provided:
http://ipcc-ar5.dkrz.de/trackback/query.htm?id=esg%3amodel_mpiom_decadal1960-lrbasesimulation&session=true&fromSearch=true
<http://ipcc-ar5.dkrz.de/trackback/query.htm?id=esg%3amodel_mpiom_decadal1960-lrbasesimulation&session=true&fromSearch=true>
go to outputs: "Output data for this simulation is not yet available in
the archive."

We only have data at 1.3.4 so I guess we should keep waiting until G2.0
comes out and is ready for production (we do have a G2.0-RC1 installed,
but we can't update more often nor publish data to it at this time
because we are short on resources for both tasks). The current situation
is a problem for our users and to those of us that answer at the help-desk.

So basically, can't say if it's corrected in G2.0, but in 1.3.4 if the
data-metadata connection was broken, it resulted in a message saying
there's no data.
My point: if we can't be sure that's the case, then don't tell the user
it is.

Thanks,
Estani

--
Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de