[Go-essp-tech] Followup from today's call

Nathan Wilhelmi wilhelmi at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 10 20:55:27 MST 2012

Hi Stephen,

I wanted to follow up on the comment you made today about
incompatibilities between gateway releases. Can you give more details on
the issues you have run into?

I can see two potential aspects to review:

1) The external federation services of the gateway. For each release we
have endevoured to ensure the new releases are backwards and forwards
compatible with earlier releases. In general we work to ensure
compatible with the gateway versions in production. At this point in
time I am not aware of any issues. As far as I know there are at least 3
different versions of the gateway in production at the moment.

2) Internal changes that break customized pages. This is one area where
I believe we have had some issues. This is also a little tougher. We
need to keep making forward progress on improving the gateway, yet we
don't know what people have customized. So it's not easy for us to make
a determination as to the cost/benefit of maintaining compatibility.
There are a number of steps we can take to make this better. As
mentioned today supporting robust customization isn't on the top of the
priority stack. When it gets there lets pick this up again. One thing
that would be helpful, if you could send us what you have customized we
can validate this against 2.0.

Thanks!
-Nate