[Go-essp-tech] How does "experiment=volcanic aerosol" come to be in CMIP5?

Drach, Bob drach1 at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 22 19:43:28 MST 2012

Hi Mike,

Estani's comment is essentially correct. Here are the steps to fix the

(1) Fix the relevant database entry. In psql, connect to the esgcet
database, then:

>>> update experiment set description='historical simulation but with
>>>other individual forcing agents or combinations of forcings' where
>>>name='historicalMisc';

(2) Make a list of the historicalMisc datasets to be modified. For example:

% esglist_datasets --experiment historicalMisc --select name --no-header
cmip5 > histmisc.txt

(3) Unpublish and remove the THREDDS catalogs:

% esgunpublish --use-list histmisc.txt

(4) Republish:

% esgpublish --use-list histmisc.txt --project cmip5

Estani's suggestion is good: I would run (3-4) on one dataset first to
make sure the fix succeeded.

--Bob