[Go-essp-tech] How does "experiment=volcanic aerosol" come to be in CMIP5?

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Feb 16 13:21:26 MST 2012

Hi Gary,

To be sure, the experiment_id for the CCCMA dataset shown below was (if
correct) "historicalMisc".  When they published it, they chose to name
the experiment "volcanic aerosol".  This is informational but is not
used by the ESG search engines or in any other automatic processing that
I know of.  (I thought whoever was publishing would just put in
experiment="historicalMisc", so it would be consistent with the
experiment_id global attribute.)

I don't think we've provided much guidance about this (outside the DRS
document), but for each different combination of forcings in the
historicalMisc runs, you should assign a different "physics_version"
number (i.e., the "p" in the ensemble identifier, which in the example
below is "p3").  You should also record in the global "forcing"
attribute in the netCDF file each of the forcings included in each of
your historical(Misc) runs.  If you do an ensemble of runs with the same
forcing, they should all have the same "p" value and be distinguished by
the "r" values.  The standard abbreviations for each forcing are
provided in the last appendix of the DRS document and also can be found
at
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/cmip5_data_reference_Appendix1-2.pdf
[Note that the output_requirements, available at
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/CMIP5_output_metadata_requirements.pdf
, describes the "forcing" attribute.]

I would like to put together a table that provides a key showing which
forcings are included for each model and for each value of "p"; I just
haven't gotten to this yet.

Please let me know if you can think of any way to make this clearer to
everyone.