[Go-essp-tech] Forcings on Historical

Muhammad Atif muhammad.atif at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 1 20:43:24 MDT 2012

Dear All,

I had a discussion with the project team and they will do the necessary
changes to the data. We will hopefully republish the corrected data by
mid April.

Thanks a lot for the help in sorting things out.

Regards

On 01/04/12 03:09, Karl Taylor wrote:
> Dear Muhammad,
>
> Thanks very much for volunteering to help clean this up.  As Bryan
> says, this will be a huge help to users and will save countless hours
> of effort for folks involved with ESGF development and those
> processing data.   There will be benefits for years to come.
>
> I hope others copied will read this and make sure I haven't forgotten
> anything.
>
> There are various degrees of conformance you might attempt, but I
> think renaming the files and republishing are both essential.  In the
> filenames, please
>
> 1. Replace "historicalXXXX" with "historicalMisc"  (for the expts.
> listed in a previous email.)
> 2. Replace "p1" with "pX", where the integer X should take on a
> different value for each of the different forcing runs (see 3 below
> for more info.)
>
> You should send Gavin Schmidt a table indicating which "p" value
> corresponds to which forcing, as was requested in an email about a
> week ago.  (If you didn't get that email, please let me know.)
>
> It would be desirable (and perhaps essential -- others might chip in
> here) also to correct the global attributes in the netCDF files
> themselves:
>
> 1. Set experiment_id = 'historicalMisc'
> 2. Set experiment = 'other historical forcing'
> 3. Replace physics_version with "p" value consistent with the filename.
> physics_version = an integer (?1) referring to the physics version
> used by the model If there is only one physics version of the model,
> then this argument should be normally given the value 1. Note that
> model versions that are substantially different should be given a
> different "model_id"; assigning a different "physics_version" should
> be reserved for closely-related model versions (e.g., as in a
> "perturbed physics" ensemble) or for the same model, but with
> different forcing or feedbacks active. In CMIP5, one would
> distinguish, for example, among runs forced by different combinations
> of "forcing" agents (as called for under the "historicalMisc"
> experiment -- experiment 7.3) by assigning different values to
> physics_version. For fields appearing in table "fx" in the CMIP5
> Requested Output, set physics_version=0 (violating the general rule
> that it should be a positive definite integer). Note that the
> physics_version is used in constructing the "ensemble member" called
> for by the DRS document; it is the value of L in r<N>i<M>p<L>.
> 4. Generate a new tracking_id which is "a string that is almost
> certainly unique to this file and must be generated using the OSSP
> utility which supports a number of different DCE 1.1 variant UUID
> options. For CMIP5 version 4 (random number based) is required.
> Download the software from http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/. The
> tracking_id might look something like:
> 02d9e6d5-9467-382e-8f9b-9300a64ac3cd."
> 5. Also check that the "forcing" attribute has the correct forcing
> identifier(s) (see
> [...]

Muhammad Atif
ANU Supercomputer Facility      NCI National Facility
Leonard Huxley, Mills Road      Room 318, Bldg # 56
Australian National University  Ph:  +61 2 6125 5031
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia   M:   0430 393863
CRICOS Provider #00120C         http://anusf.anu.edu.au