[Go-essp-tech] versions, checksums and the TDS

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Mon Sep 26 10:30:17 MDT 2011

Hello,

sorry, I haven't had time to digest everything.

In response to the tracking id issue: I think there is a significant chance that a data provider might accidentally provide different files with the same tracking id.  The most likely case is around correction of things like 'forcings' and 'branch_date' - those NetCDF attributes that are left to the data provider to manage.  I think its easy to make a slip with these (anecdotally I've hear there are already examples in the CMIP5 repository), then correct later (not sure whether there are plans to correct the examples already seen).  Correction with a simple ncatted will not update the tracking id.

I don't know if this case of different files, same tracking id, has happened already - I guess someone could find out by trawling the catalogues...

Rather than worry about whether tracking id is reliable I think its better to invest effort in getting the checksum in the system for all data.  *But* I don't control any effort on this, so weigh my opinions with that in mind...

(All this was in quite a rush - hope I haven't said anything too stupid/more stupid than usual)

Jamie