[Go-essp-tech] Reasoning for the use of symbolic links in drslib

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Sep 23 04:10:15 MDT 2011

Hello Karl,

thanks for responding on this and making the user view much more
explicit.  And thanks for the note on the checksum - its good to know
this is close to being 'required'.

I also agree that the risk to CMIP5 (and the model contribution to IPCC
AR5) due to data access problems is sufficiently high that simple
(non-general) solutions that can be delivered quickly are needed.  I
think that many of the early CMIP5/working group 1 users are happy to
take some of the responsibility for filtering which data they need,
q.c., etc on themselves.  So this user base can toleterate simpler
solutions.  This may not apply to working groups 2, 3... I don't know.
Later studies of working group 1 may need richer model meta-data.

Some questions /comments on your proposal:

1. I think the list files are derivable from the thredds catalogue
entries for the publication version dataset (if they all contained  the
checksums) - I think you suspect this.  In a sense (I think) they are a
reformatting of the thredds catalogues into a form more parsable by
users. If it can be achieved in time then I think its safer to get the
checksums in the thredds cataloges and derive any other format from
there.
2. do you think you would expose these list files through http?  You
mention gridFTP but how soon do you think gridFTP will be available for
the users that need it...
   a. I'm not sure how many have data available through gridFTP
(http://esgf.org/wiki/Cmip5Status/ArchiveView suggest not many?)
   b. I'm not sure how many users will have gridFTP clients (or maybe
you can use a standard ftp client?)
3. Do you need to capture this idea of 'latest' in the user view, or can
the user work this out based on the version number?
   a. including 'latest' makes is easier for users as it takes one bit
of responsibility away from them
   b. but you may be introducing an inconsistency between the thredds
interface (which doesn't really expose this idea of latest), and the
more file based interface).
   c. this exposure of 'latest' may be a minor point, (but its ringing
alarm bells with me).
4. I don't think you need time sample do you - isn't that in the file
name?
5. what is the full path to the file - the one visible through gridFTP,
or through the thredds file server or what?
6. an addition - but in the same vain of simplicity, can we have an easy
to parse list of servers that hold CMIP5 data available via http.  In
the first instance this could be populated by hand.  It could be as
simple as a csv file - server,pki_status.

I'm afraid I haven't had time to think about all the issues around hard
links, soft links and tape storage - and there may be more major issues
there.

Jamie