[Go-essp-tech] Reasoning for the use of symbolic links in drslib

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 15:35:32 MDT 2011

Hi All,

Lots of good discussion here and sorry I've been keeping quiet.  I want to remind ourselves of the requirements I laid out in the wiki page

1. It should allow data from multiple versions to be kept on disk simultaneously.
2. It should avoid storing multiple copies of files that are present in more than one version.
3. It should be straightforward to copy dataset changes (i.e. differences between versions) between nodes to allow efficient replication.
4. It should rely only on the filesystem so that generic tools like FTP could be used to expose the structure if necessary.

In my view we should address these directly.  Are they needed?  Which are the most important?

Gavin said about catalogs
> you can quickly and easily inspect catalog_v1 and catalog_v2 to find what the changes are.
> This all answers the question of "WHAT" (to download)... the other question of "HOW" is a different, but related story.
> The trick is to not conflate the two issues which is what filesystem discussions do. .

But THREDDS conflates the two as well!  A THREDDS catalog contains descriptions of service endpoints that are not independent of the node serving the data (the "HOW").  Maybe we should have developed a true catalog format but that is not where we are now.  The replication client use THREDDS catalogs in this way but when I last looked it was completely unaware of versions -- i.e. it won't help with #3.

I don't see how Gavin's point addresses any of the requirements above.  Even if we ditch #4, which I expect Gavin would argue for, it doesn't directly solve the problem for #1-#3 either.

Briefly on some other points that have been made...

Balaji, some archive tools maybe can detect 2 paths pointing to the same filesystem inode but both Estani and I have enquired with our backup people and they say hard links must be avoided.  I am happy to include a hard-linking option in drslib though.  I've created a bugzilla ticket for it.

Karl, I think putting real files in "latest" is equivalent to putting real files in the latest "vYYYYMMDD" directory.  The directories can be renamed trivially on upgrade but you still have the same problems as the wiki page says.

I'm sure there were other points but I've lost track.  Checksums will have to wait for another email.

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK