[Go-essp-tech] Reasoning for the use of symbolic links in drslib

V. Balaji V.Balaji at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 20 09:01:04 MDT 2011

If nodes can currently choose to record checksums or not, I'd strongly
recommend this be a non-optional requirement.. how could anyone download
any data with confidence without being able to checksum?

You can of course check timestamps and filesizes and so on, but you have
to consider those optimizations... a fast option for the less paranoid
to avoid the sum computation, which has to be the gold standard.

"Trust but checksum".

--

V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov