[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Help Desk Update

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 08:29:32 MDT 2011

Hi all,

Traffic on the CMIP5 HelpDesk has increased significantly in the last 2 weeks.  Attached is a summary of queries created and closed since April.  There are number of points below that would help keeping it working.

We are running at 3-4 new queries a day (weekdays).  If you include user responses this is a lot of traffic.  I am yet to find time to train another member of BADC to triage these queries so I need Gateway administrator's help in keeping up.  If one person at BADC, PCMDI, DKRZ and NCAR spent 10 mins each day scanning the list of new requests, allocating them to assignees and writing the initial response to the user we would keep up.

Queries aren't getting closed -- this doesn't necessarily mean the user's problem wasn't solved.  In most cases the trail has just gone cold and there has been no time to review and close queries.  Please close queries that you think have been answered satisfactorily.  They will be reopened automatically if the user replies.

About half the queries are coming directly to cmip5-helpdesk at stfc.ac.uk and half via esg-support.  Can PCMDI, NERSC and ORNL  please change their contact-us page to suggest emailing the helpdesk directly.  Redirecting users from esg-support takes extra effort and is confusing.

Far too many queries are from people using multiple OpenIDs, one of which isn't a member of CMIP5 Research.  I have beefed-up the message on the BADC login page to make very clear users should use only one OpenID.  Please could other gateways do the same.  It says in red bold

  Please Use one OpenID to login to all ESGF Gateways. If you already have an OpenID at another Gateway there is no need to create a new one for this portal. Using multiple OpenIDs can cause system inconsistencies.

As always further suggestions on how to best manage user queries are welcome.  The footprints system is working well for certain types of queries but we need to answer simple questions quicker.

Thanks,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK