[Go-essp-tech] cmip5

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 15 16:53:18 MDT 2011

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you.  Your input is very useful.

More in-line below.

Best regards,

-Eric

Sébastien Denvil wrote:
>  Hi Eric,
>
> see comments and feedback below.
>
> The purpose of this email is to give a end-user perspective and to
> recall the "multi-model inter comparison" essence of CMIP5.
>
> I just hope it can be taken into account by gateways roadmap.
We're focused on identifying the top priorities for improving the
gateway search and download capabilities for CMIP5.  Your input is truly
appreciated.

The gateway 2.0 addresses a number of these search shortcomings.  It is
also a more flexible platform for addressing current and future search
needs.  We plan to release this version as soon as possible.  Feedback
is an important part of the process.

> On 13/09/2011 22:40, Eric Nienhouse wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your thorough and thoughtful discussion on this
>> issue.  This support request details a number of usability issues
>> related to cross-cutting data discovery and access.  Much can be done
>> now to improve user experience as we all collectively work towards a
>> more robust system which addresses these community needs.
>>
>> Please consider the following:
>>
>> * Install/upgrade to Gateway version 1.3.2.  (This version addresses
>> several frequent end user support issues.)
>> * Enable certificate authorization (token-less) at all Gateways and Data
>> Nodes.
>> * Try out the Gateway 2.0 Beta and provide feedback:
>> (http://search-esg.prototype.ucar.edu)
>
> CMIP5 being a multi-model approach ; what end user are looking for is
> a way to access given quantities (air temperature and liquid
> precipitation for example) from a given experiment for all available
> models (reach that point by minimizing click amounts is key to
> success). Seeing that as the primary requirement the end-user final
> step of the scenario is :
> - end-user with a wget script that points files across datasets.
> - end-user start a globus-online download that points files across
> datasets.
> - and so on.
Enabling a single download script (or globus-online process) based on a
many datasets derived from user criteria is necessary in this context.
As you and Balaji note, a per dataset download model is unfeasible for many.

> May be the dataset centric view doesn't ease that approach but we
> think this should be the way to go. I can't login with my OpenID so it
> could be that the download options has been change in the v2 but I
> can't test it.

The download page allows you to create a single download script based on
the selected set of datasets returned from search results.  Users can
choose the number of results per page enabling selection of many
datasets.  (You can also show > 100 results by adding the page size to
the URL).  We're hoping this approach allows users to progress quickly
and effectively to a single download script or method.  Please note,
there is a "select all" checkbox in the results page, however, this may
not be clear.

Sorry you can't test the download UI in the search preview.  It is not
accepting federation OpenIDs yet.  We'll look into options to enable
this until we have a test federation setup.

> See below an example.
>
>> * Install the Gateway 2.0 Beta for federation testing and review.
>>
>> It will also be of great help to our end users to work towards
>> consistent DRS based file URLs, improved user documentation and
>> providing services to support bulk download.  Much of this is already
>> under way.
>>
>> Improving the help documentation for certificate WGet access and adding
>> Globus Online as a download option is work in progress for the next
>> Gateway release 1.3.3.  This should be available very soon.
>
> What is the scenario for globus online? One "download job" per dataset
> or one "download job" per search criteria?
The scenario for Globus Online is one "download job" per search
criteria.  So a download job may represent many datasets.

> Example:
>
> - I'm interested in the short term simulation (18 experiments), all
> ensemble member (let's say 6 members in average across models for each
> experiment)
>
> experiments="decadal1960 decadal1965 decadal1970 decadal1975
> decadal1980 decadal1985 decadal1990 decadal1995 decadal2000
> decadal2001 decadal2002 decadal2003 decadal2004 decadal2005
> decadal2006 decadal2007 decadal2008 decadal2009"
>
> - I like those variables (6 variables from the same table!)
>
> 2D_variables[atmos][mon]="tas ts pctisccp"
> 3D_variables[atmos][mon]="ta hur clcalipso parasolRefl"
>
> - I want to analyse all the model distributing what's above (let's say
> 14 models)
>
> ===> So I have an interest for 9072 datasets.
>
> One download per search criteria should trigger one download job using
> 10 clicks.
> One download per dataset will trigger 9072 download jobs and something
> like o(100000) clicks. This is not possible.
Agreed - a download per dataset is not reasonable.  We're working
towards a model where a single "download job" can be created based on
search criteria.  We may find that the current faceted navigation is not
the best method for enabling this.  However this is our starting point.
It is our desire to support cross cutting data requests without
exhausting our users with clicks and backward steps.

You've identified two key user scenarios.  We're hearing similar
requests from end users via support emails as well.

1)  I want to download all files from experiment E1, with
variables/fields V1,V2,V3 from all models.
2)  I want to download all files for variables (V1,V2,V3...) from
experiments (E1,E2,E3...)

The current, pre-2.0 gateway makes these tasks difficult and time
consuming at best.  The 2.0 version is a solid step in the right direction.

Thanks again, Sebastien, for sending this out.