[Go-essp-tech] [esg-node-dev] Re: Documenting CMIP5 data upgrades: the DRSCOMM application

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Mon Sep 12 08:23:36 MDT 2011

Hey Luca,

no it's not. (Ag can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the web page states
it must be manually added).

You have a point there, and indeed it shouldn't be that difficult to
implement. The datasets need to have a comment associated to it (and not
only the latest version as it currently is) and the catalogs will need
to be recreated. But this might take some time, so I guess this still
is, in my opinion, a very good interim solution.

Once the esgpublisher can attach a comment to any dataset-version it
will be quite simple to upload data from DRSCOMM to the esgpublisher DB
by the corresponding publisher.
The DRSCOMM could also in the meantime "extract" the comments from the
Catalogs quite easily (the publisher just gives the url of the master
TDS, and the TDS get's scanned for comments, if found, the appropriate
entry get's inserted into the DB).
In the end I would expect a service at the Gateway, just as DRSCOMM
works. And another using the notification system (if a comment gets
changed, it's emailed at all people who have downloaded a file within them)

That might be a possible "evolution" path. I wouldn't wait until it's
done though, as users need that information already. But I concur, this
meta-data belongs in the Catalogs.

Thanks,
Estani