[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 parameter versions

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 02:01:34 MDT 2011

Hi Mark,

1) if the ESG system is designed to always supply the latest version
(and hide away old versions)?

Yes.  The ESG publisher keeps THREDDS catalogs of old versions but the Gateway will always display the most recent version.  Previous versions aren't directly accessible through a Gateway (at least not in the versions I've evaluated, 1.2.x and 1.3.x) but the existence of previous versions are visible through a Gateway.

Of course this presumes you have separated the files of old and new versions in some way and correctly told ESG publisher which files constitute a new version.  See below.

> 2) as the file system that is scanned by the ESG system is shared by
> our analysts, as it stands old versions can still be seen and copied
> and potentially end up in local archives, especially when distributed
> by 3rd parties. We would like to try and avoid this from happening
> _without_ messing up the ESG metadata.

Are you using the DRS directory structure which includes a version directory "vYYYYMMDD"?  This is how we are separating the current version from previous versions.  The tool drslib[1] is designed to manage duplicate files across versions using symbolic links.

[1] http://esgf.org/esgf-drslib-site

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK