[Go-essp-tech] Non-DRS File structure at data nodes

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Mon Sep 5 13:48:53 MDT 2011

Hi...

To keep this short...
1) The software is not in place yet, but it can be put in place, much of
it has already been written.
2) This solution can be made to easily work with systems beyond those
that use the HTTP protocol.
3) The end-user is always 'understood' in all of the
contributions/comments/discussions about the system, it goes for me and
I assumed it went for everyone else and all that is said.  We are here
to build a system for our community.
4) It is exactly because the DRS may change and evolve why such an
resolution system is advantageous.  It is also advantageous in a host of
end-user related activities that makes the system more robust and easy
to use.
5) Th does not preclude any organization from not using it entirely as
the see fit.  A testament to the inherent flexibility of the solution.
6) This ESGF system takes the best parts of the torrent architecture and
some others to achieve our needs in an effective way that provides
robustness and longevity to our the community - our end-users.  The ESGF
architecture avoids certain known issues with torrents.

I had a much lengthier response... but decided to keep it brief.  Those
wanting to discuss and debate this further, I suggest we put together a
group where we can delve into the details.
The idea is clean and cogent and will help the system as a whole.

"A strong tide lifts all boats"

--
Gavin M. Bell