[Go-essp-tech] Non-DRS File structure at data nodes

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Mon Sep 5 11:38:24 MDT 2011

Hi,

Indeed, this layer is not ready now, so it will have to be slotted in
when it it ready and as you indicate, it will not perturb any current
schemes in play.  It is an *option* that we will be able to support to
allow institutions this additional *flexibility*.  I don't propose
swapping out one set of imposed rules for another. ;-).

Also, there will be a mechanism in place to allow for any tool to
perform this resolution.  What level this resolution may be integrated
will vary, but there will certainly be an out-of-band mechanism offered
at a minimum.  And for tools that speak HTTP they get this for free
without any coding intervention.

On 9/5/11 3:42 AM, philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> Layers of indirection can be added but that takes design and development time and even longer to debug and deploy.   Using the file system provides a baseline that all the access tools OPeNDAP, GridFTP etc. can use now.
No debate there, i agree, however, design and development time can be
greatly reduced by writing good and wise code.  It does not have to be a
protracted process which seems to be what you are implying.  It has
largely already been designed and mostly implemented... it is missing a
key piece which we hope to address shortly.  But overall it is quite
cogent and straightforward. Indeed, I have suggested putting together a
group of individuals that want to discuss the details more deeply.
> The middleware you describe could be slotted in when ready at a later stage to replace this baseline approach.  If it really followed the contract for the interface, no one on the outside would even notice that you'd made the change ;)

Indeed, I could not have said it better.  Though the interface is quite
a bit more subtle than one would imagine.  You are certainly correct
with all of your statements!! :-).

--
Gavin M. Bell
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo