[Go-essp-tech] Non-DRS File structure at data nodes

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Fri Sep 2 05:51:11 MDT 2011

Hi Jamie,

That should (mostly) work, although I hope you see how cumbersome that
is. Not to mention that there's no requirement for the catalogs to
contain this information AFAIK. The information contained in the
catalogs is also part of the "best-practices" document; not mandatory at
all.

To build the DRS you'll also need the table name, that might be in the
catalogs as well. And the product separation as it's not always part of
the id, e.g. BCC hasn't done it. drslib output1/2 separation is AFAIK
precise, but requires data from the model run to configure. I think the
esgpublish has an option for achieving a similar result without this
information. In this particular case, I think you should rely on it, as
I don't think it will be easy to get to the information required for
configuring the product detection in the drslib tool.

Most information required for building the DRS structure might be
extracted from the file themselves. There are a few which can't
(checksum and version).

I recall Karl saying that the version was mandatory, and although I
haven't seen this requirement written anywhere, I think the publisher
assigned always a version to any published dataset. Checksums are a bit
different. All other parameters can be extracted from the files.
It might not be fast, but is certainly doable.

Thanks,
Estani