[Go-essp-tech] Feedback from an ESA meeting

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 22 07:19:47 MDT 2011

  Hello Martin, Jamie, all,

On 14/10/2011 17:33, martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just come back from a meeting organised by the ESA Climate Change Initiative, a programme of 14 collaborative projects creating a with range of climate data records -- targeted at the AR6 time frame. We are trying to encourage them in the NetCDF CF file format and ESGF federated archive direction.
>
> Comments on the ESGF CMIP5 archive were "the Rolls-Royce of archive systems", its "fantastic" that we have got globally distributed data accessible through a single catalog, and a Hadley Centre scientist described access to data as "brilliant". The scientist in question was using scripts written by Jamie which hide a lot of the inconsistencies in the archive, but it shows that the effort put into enabling scripted access is working.

Definitely scripting access is key to success.
I will be at WCRP next week and some of us may have the opportunity to
discuss that point.

Jamie, you circulated the IPSL CMIP5 download program onto your Met
Office collaborators and I agreed on that as I was in Cc. If I
understand correctly you also developed such a tool. Do you have some
feedback from the Met Office regarding the IPSL tool. I would be glad to
hear feedback about that.

Is your tool available to download or is it a Met Office internal tool?

Regards.
Sébastien

--
Sébastien Denvil