[Go-essp-tech] http 403 errors

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu Oct 6 03:26:27 MDT 2011

Hello Martin,

I'm not sure I understand your email well enough to get my reply right -
but I *think* it's a terminology thing.  As I understood it there are 2
(main?) reasons we can get 403's back from the nodes

1. because we are trying to get a dataset that we've seen in the thredds
catalogue, but which is not in the gateways (either because 1a. it
hasn't been published or 1b. because it got into a funny state during
publishing).

2. because the authorization is timing out (which I thought seemed to
happen at times of higher loads - so I've been calling this a load
problem, but maybe that's not the right term).

I can live with 1a. - I'm just taking this as a risk in the way we are
accessing the data. We can sort of live with 2 up to a point - we just
keep retrying - though it is a pain and I'd really rather not have to
(or at least get a different response so I know this is more like a
service unavailable than a 403).  1b. May be the hardest to detect and
deal with.  We've had several cases of this.

Jamie