[Go-essp-tech] standard_name to variable mapping in CMIP5

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Fri May 27 05:15:35 MDT 2011

I've noticed the mapping between standard_name and variable name isn't 1-to-1 for some IPSL data in the BADC Gateway.  This may be a Gateway configuration error or it might be a standard_name issue.  Details below:

The dataset "cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.historical.mon.land.Lmon.r4i1p1" has 49 variables but only 18 show up on the faceted search.  If I investigate the Gateway database I see that :

* 10 variables are given the standard name "area_fraction":
      cropFrac c4PftFrac residualFrac  grassFrac  landCoverFrac treeFracPrimEver   treeFracPrimDec treeFrac  baresoilFrac c3PftFrac
 * 22 variables don't have a standard_name:
      fLuc, fLitterSoil, nppWood, nep, cSoilMedium, nppLeaf, fHarvest, rGrowth, nppRoot, cLitterBelow, nbp, cSoilSlow, cRoot, cSoilFast, cLeaf, prveg, cWood, rMaint, cLitterAbove, fFire, cMisc, cProduct

Is this how it should be?

Thanks,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK