[Go-essp-tech] Selecting GridFTP Server Types in the Replication Client

Craig E. Ward cward at isi.edu
Tue May 17 16:23:51 MDT 2011

On the GO-ESSP call today, we bounced around some ideas about how replication
could distinguish between the different types of GridFTP servers that the ESG
Federation will have. This is what I heard. I'd like to make sure we're all on
the same page.

A naming convention will be applied to the a relevant property (Which
property?) that will mark a particular service as either "normal" GridFTP or
the ESG-security-specific (i.e. BDM) GridFTP. The replication client will use
an appropriate name when selecting services for the user's preferred data
movement agent.

This also requires a new configuration option for the replication client that
allows the user to control what the which service to use in the transfer
control file.

In the meta data XML, the replication client is looking at the name stored for
"data_access_capability." The default value to match is "GridFTP." It isn't
clear to me where this value is coming from, but the "serviceType" attribute of
the "service" element in the TDS catalog is set to "GridFTP" for that type of
protocol. Is the gateway placing the "serviceType" value into the
"data_access_capability" attribute?

In another thread, Bob wrote about restrictions on what names were allowed at
certain points. If so, this could complicate the issue, but not prevent this
solution from working.

Who remembers things differently?

Thanks,

Craig