[Go-essp-tech] Handling missing data in the CMIP5 archive

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Wed May 4 12:42:15 MDT 2011

Hi Karl

I think we're somewhat at cross purposes.

> My view is that if the time-slices have actually been lost, we
> shouldn't necessarily reject the data as being useless.

Agreed.

> I agree,
> however, that we should encourage the modeling groups to try to
> recover or reproduce the lost time slices to make their output more
> complete.

Agreed.

> If that is impossible, I still think in many cases
> analysts will want access to the portions of the time-series that
> are available.

In which case we should require them to write misssing data fields for
that portion. That should be trivial for them to do, and save the
consumers a vast amount of time.  (ie use the CF missing data flag, we're
not suggesintg htey have to re-run anything unless they want to).

This is Ag's option 2c, which you don't seem to mention.

> Consider, for example, a 1000 year control run with a decade missing
> in the middle (perhaps all contained in a single lost file).  Don't
> you think many researchers will make use of the two portions of the
> time-series that *are* available, and shouldn't the available data
> be assigned a DOI?

> As I recall, data not passing QC level 2 won't normally be replicated
> and wouldn't be assigned a DOI.  Is this correct?

Correct.

Cheers
Bryan