[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Datanode : data access services.

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Mon May 2 13:11:32 MDT 2011

 Hello,

Rachana is correct, the installer will install and configure GridFTP to
work with the ESGF security mechanisms.  There are two configurations of
GridFTP that are installed one is labeled "bdm" and one is labeled
"end-user".  The former is most like the vanilla gridftp installation.
The latter has additional authentication configuration to support
clients like DML.    By default the script will install both
configurations, bdm running on 2812, and end-user running on the gridftp
2811.

Neill has more information on these configurations...
He posted some information on the esgf.org wiki:
http://esgf.org/wiki/Cmip5DataNode/EnhancedEndUserDownloadGridFTPModule

On 5/2/11 11:54 AM, Rachana Ananthakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On GridFTP, the work to add this to a data node, and accept ESGF security has been completed. Gavin can correct me, but any data node install, will have GridFTP with it, configured to accept ESG credentials.
>
> The bit that was missing is the publishing of the data with both HTTP and GSIFTP URLs, so they can be accessed by both. Last time I discussed this with site owners, they had prioritized HTTP and hadn't found resources to get to the GridFTP bits. This is an option in the publisher that can be used, I am not certain what the efforts are for updating the existing sites.
>
> Estani also raised similar questions about enabling GridFTP access, I don't know of any blockers, other than sites investing resource to update it. Please let us know if you see other constraints with the existing GridFTP access.
>
> Thanks,
> Rachana
>
> On May 2, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Sébastien Denvil wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we received increasing demand asking for regional model boundary conditions from CMIP5 simulations. Those datasets are heavy and therefore "wget" is not my favourite answer. I would like this answer to be base on a ESG-F solution and not a home made one.
>>
>> In order to build a meaningful response I would like to know what are the plan regarding the datanode to have :
>> - openDAP enable with CMIP5 filters.
>> - netCDF subsets enable with CMIP5 filters.
>>    * openDAP and/or netCDF subsets will be very useful for those focusing on a specific region (Africa OR Asia for example). They could then extract only the area of interest.
>>
>> - gridFTP enable with CMIP5 filters.
>>    *gridFTP will be very useful for those focusing on many regions and/or doing the CORDEX exercise but without a limited area model. It's very likely that they will download the whole datasets.
>>
>> My understanding is that gridFTP is not fully functional at this point of time and that openDAP and netCDF subsets are not yet secure by the ESG-F security layer.
>>
>> A corollary coming from those questions : Is there a documentation we could refer to if we want to update a production data node?
>>
>> Please refine my understanding.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Sébastien
>>
>> --
>> Sébastien Denvil
>> IPSL, Pôle de modélisation du climat
>> UPMC, Case 101, 4 place Jussieu,
>> 75252 Paris Cedex 5
>>
>> Tour 45-55 2ème étage Bureau 209
>> Tel: 33 1 44 27 21 10
>> Fax: 33 1 44 27 39 02

Gavin M. Bell
Lawrence Livermore National Labs
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo

(GPG Key - http://rainbow.llnl.gov/dist/keys/gavin.asc)

 A796 CE39 9C31 68A4 52A7  1F6B 66B7 B250 21D5 6D3E